6 of 14 Types of New York Recreational Facilities--Castles
New York Castles
American Museum of Natural History in New York City, façade on West 77th Street
Bannerman's Castle, also known as Bannerman's Island Arsenal, Hudson River, Cornwall-on-Hudson, New York, built 1901–18. The structure was built as a military surplus warehouse in the style of a Romanesque castle by businessman Francis Bannerman. An explosion in 1920 destroyed a portion of the complex. The empty and partially collapsed shell remains as a picturesque ruin. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Beacon Towers, Sands Point, New York, on the North Shore of Long Island, built 1917–18 for Alva Vanderbilt Belmont. It featured a combination of the Châteauesque and a unique Gothic style. It was demolished in 1945.
Beardslee Castle, Little Falls, New York, built in 1860. It is an eclectic Gothic Revival style house with a rusticated stone façade
Belvedere Castle, Vista Rock, Central Park, New York City, built as a folly in 1869. It was designed by Calvert Vaux and Frederick Law Olmsted, after they were reappointed to oversee the park's construction in 1865. The stone structure is a hybrid of the Gothic and Romanesque styles.
Boldt Castle, Heart Island, Thousand Islands, New York, main house built from 1900 to 1904. Grounds also include additional castle-like follies.
Carrollcliffe, now Castle Hotel and Spa, Tarrytown, New York, built in two phases from 1897-1910 for General Howard Carroll.
Castle at Casa Basso, Westhampton, New York, built in 1906 by artist Theophilus Brower. The small castle with Moorish arches has been adjoined by a restaurant, Casa Basso, since 1928.
Castle Rock, Garrison, New York, built in 1881 for Illinois Central Railroad president William H. Osborn. It is listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cloisters Museum, Manhattan, New York City, built 1938 is a part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and contains exhibitions on European medieval art.
Coe Hall, Oyster Bay, New York, built for William Robertson Coe on his Planting Fields estate from 1915 to 1919. The three-story Tudor Revival mansion features a primary facade with a combination of carved stone, dressed stone, and some exposed half-timbering that gives it the look of having been built at different periods in history. It was designed by Walker & Gillette. The grounds were designed by Guy Lowell, with later work by the Olmsted Brothers firm. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Coindre Hall, Huntington, New York, 80,000-square-foot (7,400 m2) Châteauesque style mansion built for George McKesson Brown from 1910 to 1912. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Harbor Hill, Roslyn, New York, on the North Shore of Long Island overlooking Hempstead Harbor, built 1899–1902 for Clarence Mackay. The house alone cost $781,483. It was designed by McKim, Mead & White in the Châteauesque style, with heavy influences from the Château de Maisons. The grounds were designed by Guy Lowell. The main house was demolished in 1947.
Hempstead House, Sands Point, New York, on the North Shore of Long Island, built from 1909 to 1912 for Howard Gould. It contains two stone Tudor Revival style structures with towers. Hempstead House is the main house. Castle Gould contained the stables and the servants quarters. It is listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.
Lyndhurst, Tarrytown, New York, a Gothic Revival country house built 1838–65. It was designed by Alexander Jackson Davis in two phases, in 1838 for the first owner, William Paulding, Jr., and the second time in 1864-65 for George Merritt.It is a National Historic Landmark.
Oheka Castle, Huntington, New York, on Long Island, 109,000-square-foot (10,100 m2) Châteauesque style mansion built for Otto Hermann Kahn from 1914 to 1919. It is the second largest privately held home in the United States. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Olana, Greenport, New York. Designed by Calvert Vaux, it was built in an eclectic mix of Victorian, Persian and Moorish styles. It was built from 1870 to 1872 for Frederic Edwin Church.
Piermont Castle, also known as The Cedars or Lord's Castle, Piermont, New York, built in 1892 for Eleazar Lord. The 15,000-square-foot (1,400 m2) Châteauesque mansion has thirty primary rooms and was designed by McKim, Mead & White. The interior features 18th-century Italian paneling.
Reid Castle, originally known as Ophir Hall, Purchase, New York, completed in 1892. This granite castle-style mansion was designed by Stanford White for Whitelaw Reid. It is six stories and contains 84 rooms. The grounds were landscaped by Frederick Law Olmsted. It now part of the Manhattanville College campus. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Singer Castle, formerly Jorstadt Castle, Thousand Islands, New York, built in 1896. Designed by Ernest Flagg for Frederick Gilbert Bourne of the Singer Manufacturing Company.
Ward's Castle, Port Chester, New York, built in the 1870s. The house is an early example of the use of reinforced concrete. It is an unusual combination of the Second Empire and Gothic Revival styles. It features a four-story crenellated tower on one corner. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Wing's Castle, Millbrook, New York, built from 1970–present by the owners, Peter and Toni Wing. The stone, timber, and stucco structure was built using eighty percent recycled materials, much of it salvaged from demolished structures.