3 of 13 Types of Maine Recreational Facilities--Art Museums
Maine Art Museums
Brunswick: Bowdoin College Museum of Art
The Bowdoin College Museum of Art is an art museum located in Brunswick, Maine. Included on the National Register of Historic Places, the museum is located in a building on the campus of Bowdoin College designed by the architectural firm McKim, Mead, and White.
The museum's collection originated from separate donations of art from James Bowdoin III in 1811 and 1826. Having been housed in a number of different locations during its history, the museum found a permanent home in the Walker Art Building in 1894. While the building had been renovated once in 1974, the $20.8 million renovation by architects Machado and Silvetti Associates of Boston that finished in 2007 received a great deal of publicity for its creation of a new modern entrance to the museum while preserving the structural integrity of the original building.
Portland: Portland Museum of Art
The Portland Museum of Art, or PMA, is the largest and oldest public art institution in the U.S. state of Maine. Founded as the Portland Society of Art in 1882, it is located in the downtown area known as The Arts District in Portland, Maine.
The PMA used a variety of exhibition spaces until 1908; that year Margaret Jane Mussey Sweat bequeathed her three-story mansion, now known as the McLellan House, and sufficient funds to create a gallery in memory of her late husband, Lorenzo De Medici Sweat, who was a U.S. Representative. Noted New England architect John Calvin Stevens designed the L. D. M. Sweat Memorial Galleries, which opened to the public in 1911.
Over the next 65 years, as the size and scope of the exhibitions expanded, the limitations of the Museum's galleries, storage, and support areas became apparent. In 1976, Maine native Charles Shipman Payson promised the Museum his collection of 17 paintings by Winslow Homer. Recognizing the Museum's physical limitations, he also gave $8 million toward the building of an addition to be designed by Henry Nichols Cobb of I. M. Pei & Partners. Construction began on the Charles Shipman Payson Building in 1981, and within two years the $8.2 million facility was opened to the public.
Payson's gift of the Homer paintings served as a catalyst for the Museum's expansion as well as for significant long-term loans and outright gifts to the Museum. In direct response to the Payson gift, the 1979 gift of the Hamilton Easter Field Art Foundation Collection added more than 50 paintings, sculptures, and works on paper by American modernists to the collection. In 1991, the Joan Whitney Payson Collection (owned by Charles Payson's wife Joan Whitney, a Whitney family heiress and New York City socialite) of 20 impressionist and post-impressionist works of art was given to the Museum on permanent loan. In 1996, Elizabeth B. Noyce, art collector and Maine philanthropist, bequeathed 66 works of American art, which is the most extensive and diverse gift of American art ever presented to the Museum.
The PMA attracts approximately 140,000 visitors a year, and has around 8,500 members.
The Museum's collection includes more than 22,000 artworks, dating from the 18th century to the present. The PMA's collection features works by artists such as Winslow Homer, Marsden Hartley, John Marin, Louise Nevelson, Andrew Wyeth and John Greenleaf Cloudman. The Museum has the largest European collection in Maine. The major European movements from impressionism through surrealism are represented by the Joan Whitney Payson, Albert Otten, and Scott M. Blackcollections, which include works by Mary Cassatt, Edgar Degas, René Magritte, Claude Monet, Edvard Munch, Pablo Picasso, and Auguste Rodin. The Elizabeth B. Noyce Collection, a bequest of 66 paintings and sculptures, includes paintings by George Bellows, Alfred Thompson Bricher, Abraham Walkowitz, and Jamie Wyeth, and masterpieces by Childe Hassam, Fitz Henry Lane, and N. C. Wyeth.
The Museum's three architecturally significant buildings unite three centuries that showcase the history of American art and culture.
Since its opening in 1983, the Charles Shipman Payson Building has been the public face of the Museum. Although the original vision of both the architect and the Museum's strategic plan was to integrate all three buildings, the Charles Shipman Payson Building the L. D. M. Sweat Memorial Galleries, and the McLellan House only recently has the Museum been positioned to achieve this goal. In January 2000, the Museum launched a $13.5 million capital campaign to raise funds for the preservation and educational interpretation of its two historic structures.
PMA in the Arts District of Portland
The project began in the fall of 2000 and was completed in October 2002. The McLellan House and L. D. M. Sweat Memorial Galleries have an emphasis on 19th-century American art, and the Payson Building houses European and American works from the 20th and 21st centuries. The project to "complete the Museum" returned the McLellan House to its original neoclassical elegance and the L. D. M. Sweat Memorial Galleries to their Beaux-Arts splendor, in the process creating distinctive spaces for the Museum's outstanding collection of 19th-century American art. The Museum's expanded space allows a more complete presentation of the permanent collection, which in recent years has grown in quality and historical importance. In 2014, Scott Simons Architects was engaged to develop a campus masterplan to help position the museum for growth
Ogunquit: Ogunquit Museum of American Art
The Ogunquit Museum of American Art (OMAA) is a small art museum. It sits on three acres on the coast of Ogunquit, Maine, at 543 Shore Road, and houses over 1,600 pieces in its permanent collection. It is the only museum in Maine devoted solely to American art.
The OMAA was founded in 1953 by Henry Strater. He chose architect Charles S. Worley Jr. to create the building it is housed in. The museum has since gone through multiple renovations and additions.
The OMAA houses over 1,600 pieces in its permanent collection. The highlights include:
· A complete set of the graphic works of Jack Levine
· A large assortment of ceramic sculpture by Carl Walters
· Works by Will Barnet, Thomas Hart Benton, Charles Burchfield, Alexander Calder, Marsden Hartley, Edward Hopper, Walt Kuhn, Gaston Lachaise, Roy Lichtenstein, and Reginald Marsh.
Rockland: Farnsworth Art Museum, Center for Maine Contemporary Art
The Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, Maine, United States, is an art museum that specializes in American art. Its permanent collection includes works by such artists as Gilbert Stuart, Thomas Sully, Thomas Eakins, Eastman Johnson, Fitz Henry Lane, Frank Benson, Childe Hassam, and Maurice Prendergast, as well as a significant collection of works by the 20th-century sculptor Louise Nevelson. Four galleries are devoted to contemporary art.
The museum's mission is to celebrate Maine's role in American art. It has one of the nation's largest collections of the paintings of the Wyeth family: N.C. Wyeth, Andrew Wyeth, and Jamie Wyeth. The museum owns and operates the Olson House in Cushing, inspiration for Andrew Wyeth's Christina's World painting. The museum also owns the Farnsworth Homestead, the Rockland home of its founder Lucy Farnsworth.
The museum's building was built in 1948 to designs by Wadsworth, Boston & Tuttle of Portland.
Waterville: Colby College Museum of Art
The Colby College Museum of Art is an art museum located on the campus of Colby College in Waterville, Maine. Founded in 1959 and now comprising five wings, nearly 8,000 works and more than 38,000 square feet of exhibition space, the Colby College Museum of Art has built a collection that specializes in American and contemporary art with additional, select collections of Chinese antiquities and European paintings and works on paper. The Museum serves as a teaching resource for Colby College and is a major cultural destination for the residents of Maine and visitors to the state.
In the early 1950s, Adeline and Caroline Wing gave paintings by William Merritt Chase, Winslow Homer, and Andrew Wyeth to Colby College. In 1956, Mr. and Mrs. Ellerton M. Jetté donated their American Heritage Collection, consisting of 76 works by American folk artists. The next year, the College received the Helen Warren and Willard Howe Cummings collection of American paintings and watercolors. Two years later, in 1959, the Museum opened its first official galleries in the Bixler Art and Music Center. The Jetté Galleries, a major addition designed by E. Verner Johnson and Associates, opened in 1973. In that same year, Norma B. Marin and John Marin Jr. gave 25 works of art by John Marin. In 1984, the Museum celebrated its 25th anniversary with the exhibition, Portrait of New England Places, which covered a span of nearly 200 years in American art.
In 1991, the Museum expanded again, increasing the collection storage facilities and adding the Davis Gallery, designed by the Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson and Abbott. In 1996, the Museum inaugurated the Paul J. Schupf Wing for the Works of Alex Katz to house this collection. In 1999, with a lead gift from Peter and Paula Lunder, a new wing opened for the exhibition of Colby's growing collection of American art. The Lunder Wing, designed by architect Frederick Fisher, comprises 13 galleries and 9,000 square feet of exhibition space for the Colby Museum's growing collection.
In 2000, Richard Serra's monumental 4-5-6 was installed in the Paul J. Schupf Sculpture Court. This three-part Corten steel sculpture dramatically anchors the courtyard and main entrance to the Museum. In 2002, on the Museum's east lawn, Seven Walls, a concrete structure by conceptual artist Sol LeWitt, was installed with support for its construction provided by the Jere Abbott Acquisitions Fund. In 2006, Paul J. Schupf promised the Museum his collection of more than 150 works on paper and one sculpture by Richard Serra. This gift makes the Colby Museum one of the largest repositories of Serra's works on paper.
In 2007, Peter and Paula Lunder, longtime benefactors of the Museum, promised their outstanding collection to Colby College. The gift included more than 500 works of art, the majority of them by American artists, as well as the forty exceptional examples of ritual and mortuary art that comprise the Lunder-Colville Chinese Art Collection. In 2009, the College approved the designs for the Alfond-Lunder Family Pavilion, named in recognition of a gift from the Harold Alfond Foundation and the partnership and friendship between Harold Alfond and Peter Lunder. This same year, the Museum marked its fiftieth anniversary by presenting the exhibition Art at Colby: Celebrating the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Colby College Museum of Art.
The Alex Katz Collection
In 1992, the Museum received a gift of 414 works by Alex Katz from the artist. The collection now holds over 800 works by the artist. Archive material related to the Katz Collection is held by Colby's Special Collections and is available to students and researchers.
The John Marin Collection
The John Marin Collection at the Colby College Museum of Art displays a retrospective collection of paintings, watercolors, drawings, etchings, and photographs. Twenty-four works spanning the artist's career from 1888 to 1953 were given to the museum in 1973 by John Marin Jr. and Norma B. Marin. An additional work was given in 1992, and in 1998 Norma Marin made a promised gift of 29 etchings by Marin and seven vintage photographs of Marin, including a platinum print by Alfred Stieglitz. The collection ranks second to the National Gallery of Art's collection in both media variety and size.
The Terry Winters Collection
The Colby College Museum of Art is the sole repository of Terry Winters's entire archive of prints. Numbering more than 200 works, the Winters Print Collection came to the museum in 2002 as a partial gift from the artist and ULAE, with the remaining support drawn from the Museum's Jere Abbott Acquisitions Fund.
The Whistler Collection
More than 300 etchings and lithographs make up the Whistler Collection, representing some of the rarest and most beautiful impressions by James Abbott McNeill Whistler. The collection also contains examples of artist's work in other media, and a collection of more than 150 books, journals, photographs, and archival materials related to Whistler. Research material is available by appointment to students and researchers.
Skowhegan Lecture Archive
With lectures from artists including Yvonne Jacquette, Alex Katz, Jacob Lawrence, and others, The Skowhegan School of Art lecture archive represents the depth and breadth of post-war American art. These recorded lectures have been compiled as an audio collection consisting of more than 500 talks on more than 700 compact discs. The lectures were originally intended for art students and fellow artists, and Colby was one of five American Art Institutions to receive copies of the lecture archive along with The Archives of American Art, The Art Institute of Chicago, The Getty Research Institute, and The Museum of Modern Art.
The Lunder Consortium for Whistler Studies is dedicated to nurturing, producing, and disseminating original scholarship and critical analysis of James Abbott McNeill Whistler and his international artistic circles. The Colby College Museum of Art joins The Smithsonian Institution's Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, and the University of Glasgow in the consortium. The museum also collaborates with the nearby Bowdoin College Museum of Art.
In July 2013, the Colby Museum inaugurated the Alfond-Lunder Family Pavilion. Refined and minimalist in design, the glass pavilion completes a circuit with the four existing wings of the Museum. The pavilion provides a spacious lobby that includes a sculpture gallery and terrace, as well as new exhibition galleries, classrooms, expanded collection storage, and staff offices. A three-story wall drawing by conceptual artist Sol LeWitt occupies the glass-enclosed stairwell. The pavilion's upper floor is dedicated to the College's art department, providing new studios for photography and fine art foundation classes. Approximately 2,500 images of works in the permanent collection are available on ARTstor.
Other Sites of Interest
San Marcos Memories—disappearing North County San Diego, Ca
Lake San Marcos—Listing of Vendors and Other Items of Interest to LSM residents
Silly Service—38 years of Federal Civil Service Overview (A book in progress)